Mass Poetry, a nonprofit poetry organization headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, seeks an individual with an interest in fundraising events & strong communication skills to serve in the role of Development Assistant Intern.
Mass Poetry envisions a world where poetry catalyzes understanding & connection. We harness the power of words to engage and empower diverse communities across our commonwealth. Our innovative programs spark dialogue, connection, and self-expression. We envision a vibrant, inclusive community that lifts all voices.
Mass Poetry serves an arts-partner-in-residence at GrubStreet’s new Center for Creative Writing at 50 Liberty in Boston’s Seaport District. This pioneering initiative has transformed 13,000-square feet of retail space into a bookstore, literary stage, workshop space, podcasting studio, and a literary hub for all voices. Mass Poetry is also a founding member organization of the Poetry Coalition–a national network of more than three dozen poetry organizations–spearheaded by the American Academy of Poets. Learn more at www.masspoetry.org.
This position supports the Executive Director with Mass Poetry’s fundraising efforts. The hybrid position involves occasional travel to Mass Poetry’s headquarters in downtown Boston and requires approximately 15 hours per week, though the majority of the work will be remote in nature. A stipend of $700/month is provided.
The Development Assistant Intern is responsible for these primary responsibilities:
- Assists the Executive Director (ED) in all fundraising activities;
- Attends Mass Poetry fundraising events such as Evening of Inspired Leaders and certain programs such as the Massachusetts Poetry Festival;
- Helps to prepare marketing and event materials;
- Prepares donor appeals and coordinates year-end appeal campaign;
- Processes gifts received from individuals and foundations and manages the acknowledgement process from data entry to mailing out thank you letters;
- Assists in proofreading and logging grant applications and sponsorship requests;
- Assists in writing of donation appeals, marketing documents, and other correspondence;
- Completes other administrative tasks for Mass Poetry as needed.
The ideal Development Assistant Intern candidate has experience:
- Drafting clear, concise communications to present to donors, prospective funders, and stakeholders;
- Using Little Green Light or a comparable database;
- Working with Microsoft Office and MailChimp
- Solving problems quickly and creatively;
- Multi-tasking with ease;
- Working independently to meet tight deadlines;
- Working well as a member of a team.
**Please apply by January 13, 2023. To do so, please upload your materials via this form. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Professional Writing Sample (1-2 pages)
- List of References (optional)
Mass Poetry aims to build a diverse, inclusive workplace that lifts all voices. As such, we strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Mass Poetry is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.