The SCI AmeriCorps program supports youth success by connecting young people with the relationships,
experiences, and resources they need to succeed. Members implement capacity building activities that
increase volunteer participation, and provide leadership training and community service opportunities for
youth. Since 2007, SCI AmeriCorps Members have served at various host sites in the Greater Boston
area that are aligned with the mission of Social Capital Inc. (SCI).
SCI AmeriCorps is currently looking for candidates to fill positions for a 1700-hour service term
(approximately 40 hours/week) from September 2023 through June 2024. In addition to supporting
the capacity building of the host site, the goal is to empower youth to positively impact their
communities and build their social capital through collaboration with peers and adults while
developing leadership skills.
HOST SITE OPPORTUNITY ~ Mass Poetry ~ Boston, Chelsea, Lawrence, Lowell, Salem, MA
Mass Poetry envisions a world where poetry catalyzes understanding and connection. From hosting the
Massachusetts Poetry Festival to offering a Teen Spoken Word Program at GrubStreet’s Center for
Creative Writing, Mass Poetry aims to build “a community that lifts all voices.” www.masspoetry.org.
At Mass Poetry, the SCI AmeriCorps Member will need to (essential):
● Commit to Full-Time service in local communities with diverse residents
● Serve in-person for some or all service activities
● Participate fully in all SCI AmeriCorps orientations and trainings
● Support mentorship of the Teen Spoken Word Program and Teen Council members
● Manage web content and support technological needs, especially with an eye toward accessibility
● Train, coordinate and manage volunteers under supervision of Mass Poetry staff
● Develop volunteer management tools, processes and systems
● Support Mass Poetry events (both in-person and virtually) with an eye toward accessibility
● Have effective research and communication skills (written and verbal) to conduct community
● Have a strong work ethic with collaboration and time management skills
● Complete a Social Capital Youth Project for Mass Poetry’s youth enrichment programming
In addition, Mass Poetry would prefer the SCI AmeriCorps Member (marginal):
● Have passion for poetry, contemporary literary culture, and Mass Poetry’s mission and programs
● Have prior experience with mentoring school-age students in an urban setting
● Have prior experience (or strong interest in) training volunteers
● Have prior experience event planning and/or creating systems
● Have prior experience with data collection and donor solicitation
● Be familiar with social media, Google Suite, Microsoft Office
● Have strong organizational and problem-solving skills
● Receive a Taxable Stipend up to $23,000/year, paid bi-weekly
● Earn a Federal Education Award worth up to $6,895 upon successful completion of service
● 40-hour SCI Member Training Program: professional development training in Volunteer
Management, Building Social Capital, Community Outreach, Youth Development, Project
Management, and DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)
● Eligible for Free Healthcare at a no-cost premium
● Can receive Student Loan Forbearance during active service
Submit your application through the form at bit.ly/servewithsci.
Please contact our Program Director with any questions at
Reasonable accommodations will be provided as needed for applications, interviews and service.
If you need an accommodation, please contact our Program Director at
SCI AmeriCorps prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment based on race, color,
ethnicity, national origin, class, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity
or expression, political affiliation, marital or parental status, pregnancy, reprisal, genetic
information and/or military service/veteran status.