Mass Poetry–a Boston-based arts nonprofit that offers poetry programming across Massachusetts–seeks a self-starter with a passion for poetry, strong communication skills, and an interest in events management. This stipended position will run from approximately early July – mid-December 2023.
Mass Poetry envisions a world where poetry catalyzes understanding & connection. We harness the power of words to engage and empower diverse communities across our commonwealth. Our innovative programs spark dialogue, connection, and self expression. We envision a vibrant, inclusive community that lifts all voices.
Mass Poetry now serves as an arts-partner-in-residence at GrubStreet’s new Center for Creative Writing in Boston’s Seaport District. This pioneering initiative features a bookstore, literary stage, workshop space, podcasting studio, cafe, and is now set to become a literary hub for all voices. Mass Poetry is also a founding member organization of the Poetry Coalition-–a national network of more than three dozen poetry organizations–spearheaded by the American Academy of Poets.
Co-op students can expect to get first-hand experience in communications, project management, event planning, and more, while getting the chance to see how a growing arts nonprofit operates. “In working with Mass Poetry, I’ve fostered robust communication and organization skills, and I’ve been able to support a cause I genuinely believe in. More than anything, Mass Poetry is an enriching place for people who love poetry, love writing, and want to support their community,” stated Harrison Staley, a past Northeastern Co-op with Mass Poetry.
The ideal Events and Communications Coordinator will be:
- Passionate about poetry and recognize poetry’s central place in our culture
- Able to communicate verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner
- Comfortable with working with a team to plan and execute events
- Comfortable with database entry and management
- Willing to work on projects independently as well as with supervision
- A creative problem-solver, who is detail-oriented and able to contribute to several projects simultaneously
- Excited to obtain real-world experience as a key member of a results-driven team
- Able to participate in open communication to build community and foster team goals to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- Someone who believes in the mission of Mass Poetry
Roles & responsibilities:
- Offer on-the-ground event support at the Massachusetts Poetry Festival, U35, Boston Book Festival, and other events
- Support creation of marketing materials, ad placement, and invitation for events and coordinate on-the-ground details
- Support creation of bi-weekly newsletters, content for website, and social media
- Support the creation of an annual report for donors, partners, and key supporters
- Coordinate donor events to generate revenue for Mass Poetry programs
- Work with the executive director to create communications aimed at increasing individual and corporate giving to Mass Poetry
Skills & Experience:
- Working towards or already possessing a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree
- Experience writing and reading poetry
- Experience organizing and planning events
- Experience updating content on a WordPress website or on a similar platform
- Experience creating organizational materials such as invitations and postcards
- Experience creating original written content for newsletters, blogs, and/or social media
- Proficiency with Microsoft programs and shared online platforms such as Google Drive and Dropbox
- Familiarity with Mail Chimp, Microsoft programs, donor database programs, Canva, and WordPress
Timeline & Compensation:
- This stipended position will run from approximately early July – mid-December 2023.
- Hourly pay will be $15 / hour for a 32-hour work week.
- Work will be a combination of remote and in-person work.
- This position will be made available in the Northeastern University portal in February 2023.
- Applicants should upload a resume, cover letter, and a 1-page professional writing sample via the NU portal.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, so applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and no later than March 31, 2023.